Bonfire night is one of our favourite nights of the year because, for some reason, people seem to loose their inhibitions. They chat with anyone and become a kid again for the night – hence we love it.
So if you’re going to host a party, do it for bonfire night, as it’ll be as easy as hell.
Here’s our fail-safe method:
Hot diggedy dogs
Really easy, hearty and yummy.
2 tbsp sunflower oil
6 large pork sausages
1 large onion, sliced
1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
6 big flour tortillas
2 tbsp tomato relish
paper napkins, to serve
- Preheat the oven to fan 180C/ conventional 200C/gas 6. Pour the oil into the tin and put it in the oven for a couple of minutes to heat up. Add the sausages to the hot tin and roast for 10 minutes.
- Push the sausages to the outer edges of the tin and scatter the sliced onion in the middle. Sprinkle the onion slices with the mustard seeds and some salt and pepper and turn them to coat in the hot oil at the bottom of the tin. Stick them back in the oven for 10-15 minutes until the sliced onions are golden and the sausages are completely cooked through.
- Briefly heat the flour tortillas in the oven, microwave or in a dry frying pan to make them softer and easier to roll. Place a sausage and some onion on each one, top with a spoonful of relish and roll, folding the bottom over. Serve straight away, wrapped in paper napkins.
You can’t go wrong.
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
10 whole cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 peppercorns, whole
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (to taste)
1 orange, juiced
1 bottle red wine
Cinnamon sticks (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients except wine in a pan and boil for five minutes.
2. Reduce heat, add wine. Heat to the point where it is just before boiling. (Try to avoid boiling; the alcohol will begin to evaporate.)
3. Strain into cups and serve hot.
4. Garnish with cinnamon sticks, if desired. Serves four.
To make some shapes
You can’t have a bonfire party without sparklers.
To listen to
Wack on a load of great tunes about fireworks
“Firestone” – Kygo
“Burn” – Ellie Goulding
“Firestarter” – The Prodigy
“Your Hand in Mine” – Explosions in the Sky
“Gold Dust” – Galantis
“Burning” – The War on Drugs
“Bangarang” – Skrillex
“Firework” – Katy Perry
“Emerald Explosions” – culineR
“Rockets” – Ella Henderson
“We Didn’t Start the Fire” – Billy Joel
“Relight My Fire” – Take That ft. Lulu
“Chariots of Fire” – Vangelis
To keep warm
A great little touch to keep everyone outside partying that little bit longer.
Get everyone whose coming to bring there’s over.
The good old classic – great for kids and big kids alike.