They’re everywhere at the minute aren’t they?
Lilos, mugs, slippers, sunglasses, umbrellas, phone cases – we’ve all gone flamingo fashion crazy, so much so that we’ve decided to bring out an adult version of this…
Not really – tempted though!
But what makes them so cool?
We decided to do some hard-hitting research to find out ( slash – we fancied mucking about a bit and finding out funny weird facts about flamingos one hot and stuffy afternoon.)
Here’s our favourite flamingo findings…
- There’s six different species
- The word comes from the Spanish and Latin word ‘flamenco’ meaning fire.
- They can swim
- They can fly as fast as 35 miles per hour
- They only lay one egg a year
- A flock of flamingos is called a stand, colony, regiment or a flamboyance!
- Chicks are born grey or white
- An adult’s legs can be 50 inches long – longer than their entire body.
- They can live up to 50 years old
- OK ready for this one…its “knee” is actually its ankle. The real knee is very close to its body and is really hard to see.
No? Maybe some of these will take your fancy…
Tropical Flamingo Swimsuit £39.95
Funky Flamingo Espadrilles £24.95
Fabulous Flamingo Shirt £39.94
Fabulous Flamingo Cardigan £39.95
Flamingo Basket £29.95
Final fact – there’s more plastic flamingos in America than real ones. We reckon after this year we won’t be far behind.